Oct 22, 2008

Beating the Editor

Posted by AJ Blythe at Wednesday, October 22, 2008
My biggest hurdle to overcome is the editor in me. When I write I have trouble holding myself back from editing/rewriting/a bit more editing etc etc the page or so that I will have just written. So instead of writing another page or so, I will have a perfectly edited page. This, of course, gets changed a few weeks later when my plot has developed and I suddenly realise that changes need to be made elsewhere. What a waste!!

I know it sounds silly, but I really struggle with this. Just sitting down and writing, without going back, is something I have never, ever been able to do. And this is where the challenge of NaNoWriMo lies. To be able to complete the 50,000 target in the time I can't edit. If I do I will have to confess to all that I am just not meeting my target. Aaaagggghh. Talk about inspiration to beat the editor in me.

But if I can do it for NaNoWriMo, then I will be able to continue (hopefully) to avoid over editing. Some good preparation will also help me do this I think. Of course, I had been doing wonderful preparation, but just a few days ago suddenly decided (gotta love those 2am inspirations) to completely change what I am going to write. Nothing close to what I had been planning. So back to planning. 9 days to go so better get a wiggle on.

4 comments:

Monique Wood on October 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM said...

I know exactly what you mean!

The problem I have is the day after writing something I go back and reread it and edit it. You need to just keep going and ignore the rest, otherwise you become obsessed with what you've already written.

If you have to start at a different part of the story (not chronological order) that may help. Maybe try the ending one day, a particular scene the next. I've found this works.

Rhian on October 22, 2008 at 1:53 PM said...

9 days? Are you sure?
Shit! Scrambling off to get stuff done.
RC

Diane on October 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM said...

Just concentrate on getting the story down. Perfect words can be found in December.

Serena on October 30, 2008 at 8:29 PM said...

Oh I soooooooooooooooo understand. When I first started writing I just sat and wrote. And wrote. And wrote. It was so liberating. But then I learnt a few, ahem, rules. And suddenly I worried about them when writing. And the Wicked Witch (what I call my internal editor) just won't let me go for it like I used to.

I hope you have loads of success and get those words out!
Good luck!

Serena
xx

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare