Feb 2, 2009

Short Story

Posted by AJ Blythe at Monday, February 02, 2009

Over the Christmas period I wrote a short story, which I have subsequently entered in the Little Gems contest. I hadn't intended on entering the contest, instead I had been going to continue focusing on my work in progress. However, things didn't quite work out that way. Probably because of a discussion late last year on the contest I had been thinking about the topic and a little idea for a story began to worm its way into my mind. No matter how much I tried to shake it, the idea just grew and grew and I just couldn't stop thinking about it. Needless to say, it appeared the only way to clear my mind was to write the darn thing.


It was actually a lovely experience writing the story, as the idea had been swirling about in my mind for such a long time that I had the characters, plot and story twist all worked out. And at least I can say that I have completed one story this year, lol.


So, I have entered it into the contest. Being rather proud of it, I can't help but wonder how the judges will find it. I think that the feedback from this contest will be very enlightening, to see if work that I am proud of translates to reader satisfaction also. Not that I have high expectations. This is the second contest I have entered and my biggest goal is to just do better than the last. Besides, with all the feedback I am going to receive and use to edit, there are always other short story competitions.


But, if truth be told, I have a feeling that there is really more to tell, that the few words we were allowed in this contest didn't give my hero and heroine a chance to really tell their story. I think the true potential of my short story is the one that is still to be told.....


Goals

Well, as you can see I have missed last week's blog. On a positive note, though, I am currently editing my First Kiss entry and I have made the 30 minutes writing each day. Unfortunately, the 30 minutes, as it turns out, hasn't always been 30 minutes of increasing my word count. Instead it is a combination of my writing, critiquing, research, technical development, blog etc. So I need to focus and make 30 minutes each day just about my writing. Obviously I need to try and find more time in my day to attend to the other writing related tasks that are ever present.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare