Apr 30, 2009

Werewolves or Vampires?

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, April 30, 2009
I am currently reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Can that lady tell a story!! I would love to be able to get readers as involved in my story as she has been able to do with me. I get so caught up in the books that I might as well be in a another world. Time just whizzes by unnoticed.

But at the same time there are elements to her stories that I don't think (on the surface) should work - yet she manages to make them work, and work very well. Take for example the hero, Edward. It's not that he's a vampire (I mean he has the ability to feed on humans, but he resists it and sticks to animals), more his physical description. He is icy to touch, very white (remember he's a vampire) and described as 'perfect' by the heroine Bella. As a descriptor not one to get my blood hot.

On the other hand, the werewolves that appear in book 2 are tall, muscly and olive skinned (potraying Native Americans) - if you ignore the fact they are werewolves, definitely more the traditional description of a hero.

With both the werewolves and Edward's family falling within the banner of 'the good guys' it is only Stephenie Meyer's emotional portrayal of Edward and his love for Bella that leaves me weak at the knees for Edward.

The above images are how the vampires and werewolves are cast in the movies. What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare