May 15, 2009

Sprinting + Away

Posted by AJ Blythe at Friday, May 15, 2009

Sprinting. Not the kind that involves sweat and pain. The kind that involves you and a bunch of other like-minded writers all writing together at the same time.

When I first heard about sprinting I have to confess I was a little sceptical. How could sprinting be any different from any other time I am writing? How could it possibly help get more words out?

During 2008 NaNoWriMo I joined in, not wanting to disregard it completely. Confession time. I was wrong. I was pushing out numbers in 30 minutes that I had no hope of doing on my own. I am a convert.

So over the past week I have been sprinting. Not as often as I would like, but the few occasions I could spare. And in those few nights of sprinting I managed 30 pages. THIRTY pages. I was stunned when I sat back and counted. Thank you to those wonderful ladies who have been sprinting with me.

Why does it work? Because it's a short burst, separated by chatting with the other sprinters in a chat room. To know others are writing with you, trying their hardest to get as many words out pushes you along. At the end you report back, congratulate or commiserate. Chat about how it is going or ask for help. But above all there is a feeling of companionship, understanding and friendship.

I love Sprinting. I just wish it burnt calories like the other kind.

Please forgive me if I don't respond to any comments to this blog for a week or so. As of tomorrow I will be internet-less (eek) for week while the family and I are on holidays.

3 comments:

Monique Wood on May 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM said...

I wish I could have joined you for all the sprints. It really is a great concept.

Have a lovely holiday, m'dear!

Shayne Collier on May 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM said...

Have a relaxing and fun time away. Sprinting sounds amazing - 30 pages is incredible!

Anita Joy on May 24, 2009 at 6:00 PM said...

Thanks Mon and Shayne.

Back to reality after a wonderful holiday. I still can't believe I managed 30 pages of sprints.

Squeezed out another 16 pages while away, but back to it in earnest this week.

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare