May 10, 2009

Word Counts

Posted by AJ Blythe at Sunday, May 10, 2009

50,000 words.

That is my goal. 50,000 words. My work in progress is aimed at Harlequin Mills and Boon Sweet so the size of my ms is already determined.

But how do I tell just how many words I've written?

I know there are two different ways of calculating word count.
1. The actual word count
2. The number of pages x 250 (when your page is set up to hold 25 lines).

Originally I'd been following the first method. But then I heard on the grapevine that publishers were more concerned with the number of pages in a book, so I switched to option 2.

Last night I celebrated breaking the 20,000 mark. But then I was told that Harlequin tend to just want the actual word count these days, back to 18,000. Bang. Just like that.

So how am I supposed to count my words?

2 comments:

Sandie Hudson on May 10, 2009 at 11:58 PM said...

Anita I do actual word count. It's is easier for me that way and if I'm aiming between say 50k to 55k I have room to play.

Thanks for your company this week & the sprints it's been fun. Diane, Tracey & I are sprinting again tomorrow night if you want to join us.

Sandie

Anita Joy on May 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM said...

Sandie, I think I will do actual from now on. Beeter to err on the low side.

Will join your sprints whenever I can - having a blast.

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare