Jun 12, 2009

I Don't Do Cold!

Posted by AJ Blythe at Friday, June 12, 2009

Temperatures in Brisbane have plummeted.

Yesterday the temperature rose to only 16C (61F). But the 'apparent' temperature - the temperature as we feel it - max'd at just 10C (50F).

And as for the minimum 3C (37F), it was reported as an apparent of -2C (28F).

These numbers are below normal for Brisbane - about 9C (48F) below normal. We don't normally hit those sort of temperatures until mid-winter. And we are feeling it.

For those of you in colder climates, you might wonder why the complaint. Well, you probably aren't familiar with Brisbane. In this sub-tropical climate we have 8 months of perfect beach weather. It was only a month ago my kids were swimming. Even the start and tail of winter are cold, but not freezing. So really, we only have about 2 months of freeze-your-butt-off weather.

And, here's the punchline, our houses attest to that. Come to Brissie during those scorching summer months and our large, open, ceiling fanned houses are perfect. But when winter hits, brrrrr, it is often warmer outside then in (as is the case today).

Sitting here at my computer, rugged up in layers with a beanie perched on my head, cup of tea permanately at my elbow, fingers struggling to overcome their sluggishness and add to my word count, I can quite honestly say:

BRING ON SUMMER!

4 comments:

Nicky on June 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM said...

Ah Anita you nailed it in one!

Brisbane & especially Queenslander houses are so very not designed to retain heat. I know my nearly 100yr old house is fan-bloody-tastic at evacuating the heat.

Except I don't want that right now. Typing is a challenge indeed (especially after the sun goes down).

Having lived in Hobart for a number of years I now cold & this house is cold!

Anita Joy on June 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM said...

Uhuh. At night, if you look really closely at the mound of material towering in front of my keyboard, you might just make out 10 fingers poking out from the edges, and 2 eyes peering from amongst the folds.

The count down is on. Only 80 days to Spring!

Shayne Collier on June 15, 2009 at 8:10 PM said...

Hi Anita
Only just read your blog and my theme is similar in one I just wrote. But it's colder here in Syd. Ridiculous. I'm not a fan of 40 degrees in summer, but 12 degrees day after day after day is depressing. I'm with you. I want the warm weather back. Two weeks of winter is enough. I hope Brissie is warmer in August.
Shayne

Anita Joy on June 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM said...

The only consolation about Brisbane in August is that it is usually a smidge warmer than July.

I have an earlier post that lists the average conditions for Brissie in August.

Shayne, only 76 days until spring!

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare