Aug 4, 2009

My Secret Life

Posted by AJ Blythe at Tuesday, August 04, 2009

I've blogged about this topic before, but it was brought fully to my attention yesterday.

I told a friend I am writing a Harlequin novel, that I would love nothing more than to make a career of it, and that I'm attending the RWA conference next week. Being a fabulous friend who knows me well, she nodded, mulled over the idea for a minute and then began to ask 1001 questions.

At the end she made the comment it's like a secret society, that I have a whole second life no one knows about. You know what, it's true!

She is only the third person out of my family or writing circles who know about what I am doing. Why? Because I don't want to be constantly asked are you published yet? Can I read it? You should write about blah blah. That's so easy, anyone could do it. And so on.

and

I know so many fellow romance authors, chat to them, critique their work, send them mine, write this blog, help with RWA blog, and have done nearly all of it with my anticipated pen name - but have never met or spoken with them. It's all done in the cyber world.

Together it does have the makings of a secret life in a secret society.

And this is why I'm really excited that next week I will be breaking away, slicing open my secret society by attending the RWA conference in Brisbane. Meeting face-to-face the wonderful people I know by name in the RWA.

See you there.

4 comments:

Eric on August 4, 2009 at 8:14 PM said...

Anita’s secret! Anita you’re not alone; it’s not such a rare thing to have a secret ambition.

It’s fun to play mind games looking at people (strangers) and deciding what they do, what their passions are? We think we know these things but rarely get it right. Yet it’s the stuff of writers; creating homegrown plots for imaginary people to slot into and live though; it’s the stuff of a fiction writer.

I hope you have a wonderful time meeting, learning and placing faces and personalities to email addresses/user identifications. ------ Eric

Monique Wood on August 4, 2009 at 8:33 PM said...

Anita, it's fun having this 'secret life'. Rather like having a secret identity (rip off the shirt and, voila, it's supergirl!).

I completely understand where you're coming from. I can only imagine what my friends would say if they knew. I think a few may even be a wee bit annoyed at my secrecy.

Eric, it is fun to guess what other people are like, what they do, what their interests are etc. My hubby is really good at doing that (scarily accurate).

Nicky on August 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM said...

Love the secret identity thoughts Anita. Very true.

Funny how my old real life would have been like that but life is stranger than any fiction I could write. I'm now surrounded in cyber and real life by people who don't blink about it anymore (or is it they've just resigned themselves to my 'quirks' *lol*).

Looking forward to meeting you next week!

Anita Joy on August 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM said...

Eric - Thank you, it's going to be fascinating seeing if my mental image matches up with the real person. I'm usually far off the mark.

Mon - Sigh, if only having this secret identity was as sexy as being supergirl, lol. But sitting at home in my tracky dacks just doesn't seem to cut it.

Nicky - Obviously I need to hear more about your life! Maybe you can spill over coffee next week *vbg*

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare