Oct 27, 2009

GMC: exploiting your h/h's past

Posted by AJ Blythe at Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Just recently I was hit me over the head (metaphorically speaking) with a light bulb. I recently had GMC explained to me again. I vaguely remembered being told this during Bootcamp 109 I think, but it obviously didn't click with me then. So I want to share, now that I *think* I have a handle on it.

Okay, hope I make this clear.

We all know GMC stands for Goal, Motivation, Conflict and the hero and heroine both need a GMC = character wants (goal) because of (motivation) but can't because of (conflict). Now, the conflict is what pushes them apart, ie INTERNAL conflict (remember EXTERNAL conflict draws them together).

I was given a fantastic example on how to work out your h/h's INTERNAL conflict. Put them in a cage - naked! If they are naked, things like money no longer exist as a problem. So the conflicts can only be INTERNAL - eg abandoned as a child, illegitimate child, dead husband/wife, ex-partner, drunken parents etc etc etc

LIGHT-BULB FLASHING!!!

4 comments:

Shayne on October 28, 2009 at 8:23 PM said...

Hi Anita, I like this - a nice condensed version of the whole story.

Hope all is going well.

Shayne

Anita Joy on October 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM said...

Thanks Shayne :o)

Madly editing/rewriting - what's new, lol.

dianecurran on October 31, 2009 at 2:16 PM said...

but for some of us, if we put the hero and heroine into a cage naked, only one thing can happen...

Anita Joy on November 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM said...

Lol Di. Can only imagine what would happen...

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare