Oct 8, 2009

Missing in Action

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, October 08, 2009
I've been a little quiet on my blog of late. Of course I have an excuse, but I think it is quite a good one.

Back in August I e-pitched to Harlequin as part of RWA's national conference. Seriously, while I desperately wanted a positive outcome, that litle red devil in my head didn't think I stood a chance. I was thrilled when the request came back for a partial + synopsis. The only catch was I needed to start the story further along.

Oh my gosh!!! I reread the request a good half a dozen times looking for the catch, or the word I'd misread. Once I'd convinced myself it was real, it hit me. Start the story further along. Ummmm, where? I struggled with that decision. I thought of 3 or 4 places I could re-start it. I didn't want to screw the opportunity up, so I took a while analysing and thinking, and finally made my decision.

As a result, my hero and heroine meet in a totally new way, and quite important elements have been changed as a result. But I think it is a much better story for it.

So I have been rewriting my first 3 chapters, and am now well on the way to having them shining. Will let you know once they have been sent off, but for now I need to pick up that polishing cloth and get back to work.

9 comments:

Eric on October 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM said...

Anita, I’ll admit to being a little worried about you (being missing). I thought it may have been the dust had buried you. --- I’m happy to know you’ve working towards your (next) new love affair. Congratulations (in advance) I can feel you’re doing it all correctly. --- Erin (-n+c)

jenn j mcleod on October 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM said...

A very interesting situation but you sound very much in control about it all. Good on you. I'm sure it will be great.

Eleni Konstantine on October 9, 2009 at 1:10 AM said...

Great going Anita - you go girl!!!

Shayne on October 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM said...

Anita,
Best wishes with the polishing. It makes ME feel excited... does that sound wrong? Living vicariously through someone else's hard work!

You have worked for this and deserve all the good things.

Shayne

Anita Joy on October 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM said...

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. It's a little overwhelming (it's taken me nearly 2 months to mention it publicly lol). But I'm excited and the support I've received from everyone has been wonderful. Hugs to you all.

Nicky on October 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM said...

This is what the writing life is like. The story is centre! I too have been slightly MIA & completely understand (not the requesting bit - yet to have that joy occur *lol*). Overwhelming I'm sure but most definitely well deserved!

Glad you've been working it through. We will have to organise a catch up (now that school is back is slightly easier for me).

Anita Joy on October 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM said...

Nicky - would LOVE to catch up. Great to see you back again :o)

Cathryn Brunet on October 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM said...

That's great news, Anita. Hope those chapters squeak they're so polished. Good luck when it comes for submission time.

Anita Joy on October 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM said...

Thanks Cathryn - it's hard to know when to stop polishing, lol. There's always something you can find to change!

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare