Nov 2, 2009

The English Language

Posted by AJ Blythe at Monday, November 02, 2009
A friend of mine has been blogging recently about the strangulation of the English language. I thought I'd add to her observations with a few of my own.

I have a number of gripes, but one of the biggest is the onslaught of technology and the intrusion it has made into our language. I have no problem with technology such as SMS (use it myself) but the abbreviations that go with it bug me.

B4 U ST8 UR CASE 4 TXTSPK, IMHO IT RLY MAKES 4 SLOPPY HABITS. WELL TWIT.
Before you state your case for text speak, in my honest opinion it really makes for sloppy habits. Well that's what I think.

And now it's appearing in business names, advertising and emails - just to name a few spots. Grrrrr.

And don't get me started on the fact that kids these days don't see a problem in announcing they are going to play with someone elses Wii!

4 comments:

Shayne on November 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM said...

Anita,

A woman after my own heart.

You should read some of my students' assignments. They're shockers. And they have no idea about apostrophes or fullstops. They simply punctuate long long sentences with commas or, worse still, they don't punctuate at all!

Shayne

Anita Joy on November 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM said...

Lol, I remember that from my Tafe days. Makes you wonder about the ability of teaching grads these days!

Cathryn Brunet on November 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM said...

I couldn't agree more. It drives me nuts.

Mind you, my horribly long but well punctuated and grammatically correct texts probably drive my friends crazy. But a girl has standards, you know!

Anita Joy on November 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM said...

Cathryn, me too! And they probably cost us a fortune.

It's why I don't actually text that much, 'cause it takes me sooo long to write the things!

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare