Jan 11, 2010

Staying Positive

Posted by AJ Blythe at Monday, January 11, 2010














It can be hard to stay positive about your own writing when you read the work of others. I sometimes think I should abstain from reading while in the depths of writing my ms. Even during the first, second or fifth rounds of edits ;)

I've just read 3 Aussie authors (Melissa James, Marion Lennox & Claire Baxter) who write for M&B Sweet - the line I'm targetting. Now, while I'm sitting at my desk trying to edit and rewrite my current ms I shudder when I read my words. How could I possibly think my work is at their standard? What am I thinking? *Cringe* Oh my gosh, I've subbed to Mills and Boon - are they going to laugh at me?




It's hard to step back and look at my work with perspective.

I just have to remember that at some point these ladies were in my shoes, writing their first manuscript, wanting to be published - they got there.

The most painful thing to experience is not defeat but regret. If I don't keep trying, doing what I love, I'll regret it to the tips of my toes. So I'll just keep faith in myself, and maybe one day I'll get their too.

8 comments:

Eleni Konstantine on January 11, 2010 at 11:01 PM said...

Keep the faith Anita!!!

Oh & when I read the work of others, I always think mine doesn't stand up -- but you gotta keep going. I agree with your regret comment.

You'll get there!

Anita Joy on January 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM said...

Thanks Eleni! I'm sure it's a common thought to have - but it doesn't make it any easier, hey. Fingers crossed 2010 gets us both there ;)

Claire Baxter on January 12, 2010 at 9:15 AM said...

Hi Anita!

Thanks for your kind words about my work, but I have to say that I feel exactly the same way as you when I read my favourite authors.

I'm sure many other authors do too.

PLEASE don't let it get you down. Remember that M&B are looking for different voices, not more of the same.

Keep writing!

Claire

Cathryn Brunet on January 12, 2010 at 11:03 AM said...

I often think that keeping faith in your own writing is the hardest part of being an author, especially when you read someone else's work and are totally entranced.

But Claire's right, you have to remember publishers are looking for something different, not the same. We all have our own unique voices and it's that which makes us special.

Good luck with your M&B Sweet submissions.

Mary Hawkins on January 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM said...

Hi, Anita, I doubt if many - if any - published authors have not felt like you are right now. I certainly have. And you have so much going for you, especially your attitude to the whole manuscript thing. Just keep writing, keep learning more about this wonderful but sometimes frustrating career. You'll get that contract some day with the right manuscript to the right editor at the right time!
Hugs

Anita Joy on January 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM said...

Really Claire? Wow, that makes me feel better.

I'll definitely keep writing, no matter what. It's a part of me I kept locked up for so long, just letting it out in little bursts, but now I've opened the door, I couldn't put it away again. I love to write and tell stories.

Anita Joy on January 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM said...

Thanks for the good luck wishes Cathryn.

It is hard to maintain faith in your own ability. I guess everyone has good days and bad.I think you just have to rememebr one of my all time favourite movie quotes: Never give up! Never surrender!

Anita Joy on January 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM said...

Thanks for your lovely thoughts Mary. It's amazing how much there is to learn - thank goodness for RWA!

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare