Feb 11, 2010

Dilly Dallying

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, February 11, 2010
Goal number 6 for this writing year was to enter RWA's First Kiss competition. I was going to, absolutely, definitely... and then I started editing. The criteria for this contest is 1 scene with a maximum count of 1,500 words. Uh, oh. Here was my problem. You see, THAT scene was well over the 1,500 word limit. So I started cutting, 100, 150, 220 the words began to disappear. But the more I cut, the harder it got to cut them. Until I had just 120 words to still chop.

No more. I couldn't do it. Into the 'too hard' basket it went.

Until one of my fellow Bootcats asked if I was still entering - I had been, then I hadn't been she said. What was I doing?

Thinking about that made me feel guilty. After all, it was a goal for this year, and I knew I'd feel bad if I didn't achieve it, but feel fantastic if I did. So I dragged that scene back out and slashed ruthlessly: 1,498 words. I did it.

My entry is going in. How well it does, we'll see. But regardless, I feel good.

10 comments:

Sandie Hudson on February 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM said...

Good luck Anita, I hope you do well. Shall keep fingers crossed for you.

Lea on February 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM said...

Well done!

I'm an RWA member too, and entering the First Kiss. But I'm not quite finished yet... argh!

Anita Joy on February 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM said...

Thanks Sandie. Didn't give myself time to think about it, so don't have great expectations :)

Anita Joy on February 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM said...

Thanks Lea.

Good luck getting your entry ready and submitted. Gotta hate deadlines... but they do make you get your butt into gear!

dianecurran on February 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM said...

Yay Anita, for making that final leap.

Good luck,

Diane

Eleni Konstantine on February 12, 2010 at 4:46 PM said...

Good luck Anita. Good on you for entering!

Anita Joy on February 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM said...

Thanks Di. I think I'll need as much good luck as I can get :)

Anita Joy on February 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM said...

Thanks Eleni. Now I just have to get back to the editing *sigh*

Shayne on February 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM said...

Hey, hey!
Glad I made you feel bad!Now I know how to get to you.


Fingers and toes crossed for this one.


Shayne

Anita Joy on February 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM said...

Lol Shayne, guilt will do it every time - thanks for the boot!

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare