Apr 8, 2010

My First Kiss

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, April 08, 2010
Not my first kiss, but my hero and heroine's. I entered RWA's First Kiss competition (you submit the scene the first kiss occurs in) and I have just received my results.

Overall the judges liked my entry. There was no one place which pulled me down. Some common ground between the judges was:
  • my characterisation is good
  • my writing's very visual
  • the internal thoughts of my hero slow it down (less thinking, more feeling needed)
I'll leave you with my favourite comment: I feel this writer's imagination is an asset to her writing career.

6 comments:

Erin on April 8, 2010 at 7:36 AM said...

I'm guess I’m not much of a judge. I'd be focused on that first kiss does/did. Will there be more, or is it another first/last kiss? And yet if I were thinking so the kiss is doomed. Life is a balance, I’m sure being a judge is as difficult as being a writer. ---- My favourite romance poet is Sara Teasdale. She said it all when she wrote:

The Kiss

I hoped that he would love me,
And he has kissed my mouth,
But I am like a stricken bird
That cannot reach the south.

For tho' I know he loves me,
To-night my heart is sad;
His kiss was not so wonderful
As all the dreams I had.

Anita Joy on April 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM said...

Fantastic poem Erin. I'm sure there are a lot of moments for people when those words toll true.

Shayne on April 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM said...

Hi Anita,
I love the anime (is that how you spell it) couple. Cute.

Great comments. And I thought Erin's poem from Sara Teasdale was fantastic. I tell you what, in 'my younger days' I had a few experiences like that. Sloppy slurpy yucky!

Anita Joy on April 9, 2010 at 11:48 PM said...

Ergh, Shayne. Good examples of what not to do I'm guessing.

Cathryn Brunet on April 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM said...

That's an excellent comment to receive from a judge, Anita. Congratulations.

And that's a great poem, Erin. Gave me a smile.

Anita Joy on April 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM said...

Thanks, Cathryn. That one comment certainly made the more critical comments much easier to swallow :)

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare