Apr 15, 2010

The Wow Factor

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, April 15, 2010
What is it that makes you like one story over another? Both cover all bases... hero, heroine, conflict and motivation, black moment, happy ever after, but one just has that something extra, the WOW factor.

I've been trying to work out what that is, the WOW factor. Is it more emotion, more likeable characters, better plot? It doesn't seem to be something I can put my finger on, but I do know you either have it or you don't.


I just hope I find it in my writing.

2 comments:

Shayne on April 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM said...

Hi Anita,
I think it's a combination. I'm reading a book by an amazing author and I love the main character. But I can also see his faults, she has painted him so vividly. He has just done something really bad, which I knew was eventually going to happen. But it still surprised and disappointed. I was disappointed in the character's lack of will power when he did the bad thing.

I feel like I know him. And I'm cranky and upset.

Maybe that's what it's about - making the characters so real that the reader feels like they know them.

Love your work - great question to ponder.

Shayne

Anita Joy on April 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM said...

I think you're right Shayne. the reader needs to be fully invested in the characters, so they're emotional about the characters.

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare