Jun 10, 2010

Where do your ideas come from?

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, June 10, 2010
‘Let’s agree on something right from the start: The ideas you seek, the ones that you’ll use to write beautiful work, are already inside you. They are in your memory and your subconscious.’

Mike Heffron p. 17 The Writer’s Idea Workshop, Writer’s Digest Books, Cincinnati, Ohio

A friend wrote on her blog last week how the words of a Hunters and Collectors song inspired her, and it got me thinking, what inspires me? It's true song lyrics trigger ideas - probably as so many are based on relationships, but not every plot I have comes from a lyric.

I flipped through my ideas book and discovered most of my ideas come from snippets of things I've read. A letter to the editor, a job advertisement or an article on the internet.

One or two ideas have come from a comment I've overheard, or a situation I've seen.

But all of them use my personal experiences in some way - whether it's something recent or a childhood memory, something I've learnt or actually done, an emotion I've felt once or many times - and those experiences are the backbone of my plots.

Where do your ideas come from?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare