Jul 29, 2010

5DI - What an Experience!

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, July 29, 2010
Earlier this month I was fortunate enough to participate in RWA's inaugral 5DI  - Mentoring for Excellence, a five day intensive manuscript development workshop.

I was mentored by the wonderful Lilian Darcy over the week, and was afforded some amazing insights into my work. Weaknesses and strengths were highlighted and a clear direction for my writing established.

After just 5 minutes with Lilian I decided I would firmly switch from aiming for the Sweet/Romance line to SuperRomance. The manuscript I started the week with was pushed to one side (never to see the light of day again) and a new manuscript started.

Oh my gosh. I cannot say how brilliant it was to be able to plot my new ms and develop my characters with Lilian keeping my work focussed. Once the plotting (the strongest I've ever done) was complete I started writing... and re-writing *grin*.

By the end of the week I had the first two scenes written and polished and the love scene (about ch8) well under way. This scene will be the moment where the story starts moving towards the black moment, so is quite pivotal.

I'm very excited about this story and am looking forward to the journey it will take me on.

In addition to the writing I *loved* the experience of being with a group of romance writers for an entire week - and the fact I had no cooking, cleaning, home responsibilities of any sort. :o) I also met some lovely people and made some firm and lasting friendships.

5DI was everything I hoped for and more. Thanks RWA!!!

14 comments:

Jennifer Shirk on July 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM said...

Wow, that's really awesome! What a great opportunity. I would love to attend something like that. :)

Rachel Bailey on July 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM said...

So glad you had a great time, Anita - especially after all the work you did in helping to set it up!

Can't wait to read your *new* ms!

Leah on July 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM said...

That sounds incredible! I would love to attend 5DI, well done being selected to attend, and learning so much while you were there.

Mon on July 29, 2010 at 12:49 PM said...

It sounds like it was fabulous, Anita. I'd love to participate in such an intense program, and I'm impressed with what I've read of your new work so far.

Can't wait to catch up with you in a couple of weeks!

:-) Mon

Eleni Konstantine on July 30, 2010 at 12:12 AM said...

Oh that sounds so wonderful Anita. So glad you enjoyed it and getting to write a new story. Well done.

Shayne on July 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM said...

Hi Anita
It sounds so exciting. Your new ms will be a cracker by the sounds of it.

See you at the conference.

Shayne

Anita Joy on July 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM said...

Jennifer, 5DI 2011 is scheduled!!

Anita Joy on July 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM said...

Thanks Rach. I just hope everyone else gets as excited about the ms as I am.

Anita Joy on July 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM said...

Thanks Leah :) Make sure you enter 5DI 2011 then!!

Anita Joy on July 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM said...

Counting the days down, Mon . Thanks for the encouragement about my new ms - hope you feel the same way when I get to *the end*.

Anita Joy on July 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM said...

Thanks Eleni. It's always a lot of fun strating a new ms, though, isn't it. A bit like launching into a new adventure.

Anita Joy on July 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM said...

Lol, not sure about it being a cracker, Shayne - but fingers crossed.

See you soon!!

Kerri Williams writer of romance on August 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM said...

How fantastic Anita. Don't you love when you're filled with the excitement for your own work and the journey it takes you on.
Good luck.
kez

Anita Joy on August 1, 2010 at 7:54 PM said...

Totally, Kez! Although your "excitement for your own work and the journey it takes you on" should be much greater than mine at the moment.

Super, super congrats on the contract!!! Ride the wave until your baby comes out in 2011. A x

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare