Oct 21, 2010

Dog-Eared Book Pages

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, October 21, 2010
I lent a friend a book recently (the first of a long series). Now, I'm very careful about who I lend my books to. I've been caught out in the past when I've handed out books under the understanding they were being borrowed, but to never see them again. I learnt. I only part with my reading material if I am sure it will be returned. The friend I trusted with my book did return it, she didn't let me down there, BUT my beautiful book came back to me dog-eared. Yes, she'd marked her place by turning the corners of the page down.

What to do? Naturally she wants to borrow the rest of the books in the series (there are 6), but I won't put the rest of my books through that level of pain. Is lending her the books with a pile of bookmarks enough of a hint? I'd love any suggestions you might have!

6 comments:

Catherine on October 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM said...

Oh... what a dilemma. I had a discussion with the girl who brings the library van here... the things people do to books. She has had people 'correct' spelling in books and then write a note at the front (all in pen) about how poorly edited the book was - except they were wrong! Coffee stains, dirt, wet, marks she doesn't want to think what caused it. It's awful.
Lie. :-)
Tell her you loaned the books to someone else.
I don't think you can risk the subtle bookmark... I mean you can use any scrap of paper to mark your place without dog-earing. Once a dog-earer, always a dog-earer.
Cath

Mon on October 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM said...

Stick a bookmark in there for her to use. Maybe she'll get the hint? Lol.

Shayne on October 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM said...

I'd stick the bookmark in and ask her to use it.

It will save you getting all uptight about having the books returned in a shabby condition.

I'm sure you can do it in a nice way. Like, "Hey bitch, don't dog-ear my books again or I won't lend them to you."

See. It's that simple.

Anita Joy on October 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM said...

Cath, now you have me really worried, kinda like can't teach a new dog...

Mon, am hoping bookmarks might solve the problwm (went to the library today and picked up some lovely ones), but Cath has me concerned.

Oh, Shayne, I wish I could be as nice as you *wink*.

Rachael Johns on October 23, 2010 at 3:28 PM said...

Anita - I'd probably chicken out and go with Cath's suggestion - lol!
Oh and thanks for posting on my blog. For some reason, despite being my blog feed list yours never shows up there. So it's good to have the reminder to come and visit, cos I always love what I see/read here :)

Anita Joy on October 24, 2010 at 5:34 PM said...

Hi Rach, that's my problem too, I'm a bit of a chicken, and hate confrontation. Awww and thanks for the nice words about my blog :)

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare