Dec 16, 2010

Aussie Slang

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, December 16, 2010
I love Aussie slang. I think it shows who we are, our culture and gives us individuality. A personal peeve is the way Australian's are giving up our own language for an international American based one. Grrrrr.

So it's probably no surprise my hero is a true blue Aussie bloke. But how far can I go with the inclusion of Aussie idioms? I'd love to be able to include a glossary of terms at the start - but I don't think Harlequin would like that. Instead I'm trying to find that balance between identifying my hero (in part) as an Aussie through his language (he has to explain himself as my heroine is American - so the reader isn't left scratching her head) and not driving everyone bonkers by using a 'foreign' language, lol.

If you want a good site for Aussie slang go here.

I know I use a lot of them as I discovered when I was overseas and realised how often people looked at me blankly when I finished speaking *grin*.

I'm glad to be a ridgy-didge Aussie.

2 comments:

Eleni Konstantine on December 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM said...

Oh the Aussie slang can be educational can't it? ;D

But even something as saying 'no worries' has other people scratching their heads.

I actually brought that picture as a fridge magnet for a gift while holidaying once. It's quite funny.

Anita Joy on December 18, 2010 at 7:49 PM said...

I thiought it was too, Eleni. The magnet version would be a great pressie for an overseas friend.

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare