Mar 24, 2011

Brain Meltdown

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, March 24, 2011
This year I have had to go back to uni. Not because I have any deep-seated need to study, but because if I want to keep my job I have to do this.

I'm finding it very difficult to write my assignments. Not the word count. Those piddly little numbers, eg 2000 words, are but a blink now I'm used to writing 50-70 thousand words. It's the writing style.


I'd forgotten what it was like when I started writing seriously and had to switch off my scientific brain and switch on my creative one. I think that was much easier to do than switching the other way. Possibly because I am still *trying* to keep my creative writing flowing all the while trying to write academic reports. Talk about brain meltdown.

The father of the brain dominance field is Ned Herrmann. In essence his work showed the left brain controls analytical and sequential thinking and the right brain controls interpersonal and imaginative. So to effectively write my univeristy assignments I need to activate my left brain - all the while keeping my right brain functioning for my creative writing.

My brain is at war with itself and I'm not sure what the outcome will be.

3 comments:

Fiona G on March 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM said...

Anita,

I hear you. I write scientific for my job and creative after hours. My suggestion - clear your space of whichever one you aren't doing - use pink pens and paper (or glitter pens, flowing fonts) for creative, white paper and boring biros for uni and make a conscious decision to give yourself permission to swap. Works for me.

Fi

Shayne on March 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM said...

Let's see which side triumphs! Maybe you could mix and match? But I like Fi's suggestion.

Anita Joy on March 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM said...

Like your idea of coloured paper, Fi. Might have to give that a go because at the moment I'm all over the shop.

Shayne, at the moment I have a terrible feeling neither is going to make it, lol.

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare