Nov 17, 2011

High 5 Results and Finalists

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, November 17, 2011
Firstly, congratulations to the six finalists: Anne-Louise Dubrawski, Bernice Greenham, Cornelia Kamp, Dorothy Martin, Melissa Smith and Jennifer St George. At the moment their High 5 entries are in the hands of Harlequin's Charles Griemsman who is judging the final placings. Best of luck to all of you!

Now for my results. Another mixed bag (seems to be the norm for me). For my current wip I received two very high scores, but the third was quite low so dragged down my overall score - I seem to have that happen a lot! I think (reading between the lines of the judges' comments) that I have a good story and voice, but perhaps there were some elements of craft that let me down. So two judges went with the story and voice (hence the high score) and the other pulled me up on the craft (hence the low score). But I am not disappointed. The craft issues were pointed out to me before the results came back so I was expecting it, and I am thrilled that my story was loved.

What more could you ask for?

2 comments:

Shayne on November 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM said...

Good on you Anita. That's exactly what happens to me - every time. Two perfect scores and then the judge who has noticed something about craft that doesn't sit right with them. Interestingly enough, it's usually the 'avid reader' and not the finalists and published authors who give me the lower mark.

That's just the nature of contests.

Anita Joy on November 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM said...

Yup, surely is, Shayne. But so long as you can get *something* from the feedback it's worth it :)

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare