Apr 10, 2012

A to Z Challenge: I

Posted by AJ Blythe at Tuesday, April 10, 2012
I is for Ice Block, Ironbark and Irukandji Jellyfish




An ice-block is a cold, sweet treat on a stick. Made from a water base or an ice-cream base they are also known as popsicles in other parts of the world.


Ironbark is a type of gum tree (Eucalyptus species) and like all gums native to Australia. The ironbark is different to a lot of gums in that it doesn't shed its bark annually. Instead the bark accumulates and provides protection for the tree from fire.


The irukandji is a tiny jellyfish (2.5cm/1" diameter) found in northern Australian waters. Although tiny it can cause the death of a person in a matter of days (the first recorded death was in 2002). The irukandji is related to another deadly Australian jellyfish, the box jellyfish.

4 comments:

Roza M on April 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM said...

Jelly fish always make me think of that movie seven pounds. Good post.

Francene on April 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM said...

Interesting assortment of information. I'd left Australia before the tiny jellyfish killed someone--escaped with my life because I loved to swim. ;-)

FeFiFo on April 11, 2012 at 3:52 AM said...

Interesting post. Nice to find you through A-Z! :)

Anita Joy on April 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM said...

Roza, haven't heard of that movie - now I'll have to hunt it down. Thanks for sharing.

Tempting fate to swim in North Qld waters, Francene *wink*. Actually, my dh was stung by a box jellyfish many, many years ago. Luckily only a small amount of tentacle, but it knocked him unconscious.

Thanks for stopping by, FeFiFo. I'm learning heaps from A-Z. Just wish I had enough time to get to more blogs (although fab procrastination tool *wink*).

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare