Feb 7, 2013

Contest Ups and Downs

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, February 07, 2013
Last week I talked about finalling in the Selling Synopsis contest. This week I'm very, very excited to say that my synopsis won!! Writing a synopsis isn't easy, so to realise I've finally managed to nail the process is a relief.

Luckily my synopsis win took away the sting of not making it past round 1 of the Emerald - category. I seemed to have polarised the judges again with quite varied scores. But that is the nature of contests, it all depends on who reads the entry - much like when you submit it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Contests are more than a way to get anonymous feedback on your writing, it really does prepare you for the big scary world of submissions. Just gotta nail 'right desk, right time'.

Is that how everyone else sees contests? Or do you get torn everytime an entry comes back with a low score or harsh comment?

3 comments:

Nicky Strickland on February 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM said...

Congratulations on your win in Selling Synopsis! Yay!!

I agree re contest feedback (esp given I too am one who polarises dramatically). Not just the submission, the publication & reviews out there. This year I took a conscious decision to not enter the Emerald to focus on the words again for awhile.

Eleni Konstantine on February 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM said...

Congrats on the Selling Synopsis win, Anita!

I see contests the same as you.

Anita Joy on February 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM said...

Thanks for the congrats, Nicky and Eleni :)

I'm glad to hear others view contests the same way. Focussing on the words for a while is a great idea, Nicky. Contests can be an emotional roller coaster that can be distracting!

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare