Apr 18, 2013

The Ins and Outs of Our Characters

Posted by AJ Blythe at Thursday, April 18, 2013
I saw a fascinating youtube clip by Dove this week (see below). They had a forensic artist sketch women using the woman's own description and then again using the description of someone who had just met them. All the women saw themselves much more critically than the strangers did. Probably not surprising.

But it made me realise that when I write my characters I have to remember to give them their inner-self and outer-self. That is, my heroine will see the small mole on her cheek or the slight creases near her eyes - but will see them as overwhelming her face. A stranger will see the hint of a laugh around her mouth, the pink on her cheeks and the curl in her hair. Both these views will affect how the characters act and think.

Watch this video. How do you perceive yourself? I'm sure that I would have the same reaction as these ladies...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare