Jun 21, 2013

Has Google Got It Wrong?

Posted by AJ Blythe at Friday, June 21, 2013
This morning I went to Google to look something up. As I always do, I scrolled over the Google artwork to see what it represented today. I was rather surprised to find it was for "the first day of winter 2013".

Now at this time of year winter is in the southern hemisphere - I should know, I'm in Australia. But here's the thing, winter started on June 1st - 20 days ago!

Very puzzled!!!! Can anyone explain why Google would think today is the first day of winter? I would have thought they would be celebrating the winter solstice instead.

5 comments:

Catherine on June 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM said...

I think they're calling the winter solstice the wrong thing. That was my interpretation.

Cath xo

Anita Joy on June 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM said...

Yup, they got confused, Cath. I notice they've now changed the info on the image to read Winter solstice 2013 *grin*

Fiona Greene on June 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM said...

Definitely meant to be winter solstice I'm thinking.
Cold enough for you? It's freezing here, so I imagine you are colder than us.
Fi

Anita Joy on June 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM said...

I'm already counting the days until winter ends *grin*. Yesterday was the coldest yet at 7.6'C, Brrrr.

Anonymous said...

In the northern hemisphere (Europe and America) each seasons run from the solstice to the equinox (or the other way round). It's Australia that does it 'funny' with these things.

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare