Mar 11, 2015

Little Free Library

Posted by AJ Blythe at Wednesday, March 11, 2015
I recently found out about Little Free Libraries (LFL). Apparently it is a growing trend with more than 21,000 of them around the world (most in the USA).

The LFL philosophy, to quote the LFL website:

It’s a “take a book, return a book” gathering place where neighbors share their favorite literature and stories. In its most basic form, a Little Free Library is a box full of books where anyone may stop by and pick up a book (or two) and bring back another book to share.

I love the idea. Anything to help people read is a fabulous thing in my world. And that it can create a sense of community is a bonus.

Here are some examples:

New Jersey, USA
Massachusetts, USA                                               

4 comments:

DLM on March 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM said...

There is an LFL in my neighborhood and several in my city; I loved looking at the many and wonderful designs of these little gems, when I first heard of them a couple years ago. Some wonderful creativity goes into them, and a great deal of fun!

AJ Blythe on March 24, 2015 at 9:27 PM said...

How wonderful you have one in your neighbourhood! There aren't any near here, and I've never seen one, but the creativity that has gone into those on the internet is fabulous. I think it is a gorgeous idea :)

Jessica on April 20, 2015 at 1:38 AM said...

I want a LFL so badly. I recently purged my bookshelves of titles I wouldn't re-read and am saving them for the far-off day where I have one of my own.

Stopping by from Janet Reid :)

AJ Blythe on April 25, 2015 at 10:41 PM said...

Hi Jessica
I'd love one as well, and I look at my overflowing bookshelves and know that I could easily keep one well stocked for a scarily long time. One day...

(sorry for the late reply, your comment needed to be rescued from my spam for some crazy reason)

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare