Wow, what a weekend. I've just returned from RWA's annual conference and have to say I've had a ball. Learnt heaps, socialised just a little *wink* and left invigerated and enthused about my writing - what more could you want?
Some things I've learnt:
I'm not supposed to be able to write my GMC in one sentence. Nuh-uh. If the GMC guru herself, Deb Dixon, can't drill it into me, no-one can. I can write a goal, and a conflict, and a motivation. But I cannot for the life of me write it in that neat little "character wants goal because motivation but can't because conflict" sentence. - But I also learnt that it's okay if you don't do it that way, and Deb showed us the way she does it, which isn't a little sentence but a detailed table - now that I can do *grin*.
To write a dominant impression for your character (again Deb Dixon). That is, an adjective + descriptive noun. For example, Hans solo is a cocky smuggler and Princess Leia is a royal rebel.- That I now view Pretty Woman through very different eyes after Melanie Milburne's From Bin to Bestseller session. Melanie used Robert McKee's five story parts to demonstrate why Pretty Woman works - and in doing so how to apply it to your own ms.
- Denise Rossetti's key to deep pov: you (the author) are in the character's head looking out their eyes, hearing what they hear, feeling what they feel (and that verbs are your friend).

- Any would be muggers need to beware because thanks to Ray Floro I now know how to maim and kill an attacker - and how to turn anything into a weapon. There should probably be a lot of scared husbands around the country right now, lol.
Thanks for an awesome event, RWA, and I can't wait for the 20th anniversary conference in Melbourne 2011.


5 comments:
Hi Anita,
Loved the post.
I'm still recovering from the weekend and am sucking Strepsils by the pack and guzzling cold and flu remedies to get rid of persistent sore throat - I am also voiceless.
After three days in a room with 249women (and one game fella) what can you expect...
Shayne
Thanks, Shayne. I had a sore throat and croaky voice when I came home - but luckily it didn't develop into anything more sinister.
Hope you feel better soon, m'dear.
Hey Anita, as always wonderful to have caught up with you at Coogee. So glad you had lightbulb moments over the weekend and that you had a chance to socialise briefly (*wink*)
Likewise, Eleni!! Sounds like you had fun at Boot-i-con too.
We did Anita!! Writer's retreats are gold.
Post a Comment