Apr 9, 2012

A to Z Challenge: H

Posted by AJ Blythe at Monday, April 09, 2012
H is for Hard Yakka and Hills Hoist

Hard yakka is the term Aussies give to hard work, as in 'it was hard yakka digging up the garden'. The word 'yakka' is derived from an Aboriginal word for work. Hard Yakka is also a brand of Aussie workwear.

 
A hills hoist is an Australian invention - a type of outdoor clothes line. Height adjustable rotary style, it is common in our backyards (with so much sunshine it's the cheapest way to dry our clothes). It's also great fun for kids who, no matter how often they are told not to, hang on to the wires and spin around for a ride.

2 comments:

Marquita Hockaday on April 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM said...

I LOVE this! I am a fan of learning new things and I am so excited that you've given me something to go around and tell people!

AJ Blythe on April 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM said...

Lol, Marquita, so glad you learnt something new. I love telling people about Aussie idiosyncracies.

I don't think our version of English is as well known overseas, so I was hoping it would be fun to talk about.

Post a Comment

 

AJ Blythe's Cozies Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare